Saturday, March 21, 2015

week 4 - ted talk monday (dksjfh)

So, I'd like to say that I'm completely prepared for my TED Talk, because that would be great, but I'm not prepared. I've written a script, but I'm still working on memorization (I'm not too sure if I'll ever get there...) and I'm completely unsure about what I should do about performing.

I could perform something, but I'm terrified of messing up and being in front of people. Also, if I performed I absolutely WOULD NOT sing. That's not a thing that is possible for me to do. I realize that I should be pushing myself and that is a huge goal for me with this project, but I think that just getting up there with a guitar and making it not sound terrible would be a feat. Also, I posted a video where I sing so that is all you are getting. That is enough pushing myself and venturing outside of my comfort zone, thank you very much.

There is also just the option of me filming a video of me playing something. Sure, watching it would make me want to die, but it's probably better than performing. But then again, I really want to push myself with this. I've never performed in front of a live audience before, so it would probably be good for me. I'm so conflicted, I feel like Jean Valjean when he was debating whether or not to confess that he was Jean Valjean.

There is also the matter of what to perform. I've learned a bunch of songs over the course of the project, so I could really do any of them. I've learned some harder songs, but I think that for performing live, playing an easier song would be best. I also don't want to perform something that I've already posted a video or an audio clip of, because I don't want to be repetitive. I was thinking that the song Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift might be good, because it's pretty simple and no one has heard me play it before. Also, whatever I play has to last less than a minute, so I won't be doing any full songs.

On another note, I actually am pretty happy with the theme of my TED Talk. I wasn't sure mine was going to be meaningful or have something that people took away, but I think that it actually does. Writing the script wasn't hard at all - it's going to be the performance and the speaking-in-front-of-people part that is hardest for me. I don't want to spoil my TED Talk, so I'm not going to talk too much about it. I'm a mix of excited and terrified, but I'm happy that I'm going on Monday. That way I can get it out of the way and not have to worry about it anymore.

Sorry for the short post, but I have to stop writing this and work on my TED Talk for multiple hours. Pretty fun Saturday plans, right? :~) Wish me luck, I'll probably need it.

- Hannah

Comments:
Jason
Laura
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! Although it seemed like you were quite nervous Saturday, there was nothing to be nervous of! You did amazing, and I was extremely impressed with your presentation. Your public speaking is amazing, and I love how far out of your comfort zone you have gone. That is what makes your project so special. Your performance of The A Team was great, and I look forward to hearing you play more guitar for me at some point (if you did it for the TED Talk and the really good grade, you can do it for me too!).
    Jason

    ReplyDelete